Preparing your will
Whether you are preparing your first Will or updating an existing Will, it can be an easy process.
It is always best to go to a legal advisor and appoint an executor/s to make sure your wishes for your family and any charities you may choose to leave a gift to are clear and help minimise the risk of any disputes about your estate or intentions.
What type of gift can I leave Disaster Relief Australia in my Will?
After taking care of your loved ones, please consider leaving a gift in your Will to Disaster Relief Australia. Even a gift of 5% can make a difference. You can leave a monetary gift from your estate that can be residual, pecuniary or a percentage:
- A residual gift is the whole or remainder of your estate after you have provided for family and friends and is the most efficient way to support Disaster Relief Australia
- Leaving a percentage of your overall estate allows for growth or depreciation in the value of your estate. Just a small percentage can make a real difference to the biggest challenges facing disaster affected communities today and into the future
- A pecuniary gift is a specific dollar value of your choice set at the time you make your Will. The value of pecuniary legacies decreases over time as inflation rises and does not make any provision for change of circumstances.
You may also choose to leave a gift of real estate, investments, shares, artwork, jewellery, etc. Disaster Relief Australia can also be nominated as the beneficiary of your Superannuation Fund. We advise you to speak to your fund manager and/or solicitor to ensure this is distributed according to your wishes.
What do I need to take to my solicitor if I choose to leave Disaster Relief Australia a gift in my Will?
You will need to provide your solicitor or legal advisor with the legal name and ABN of Disaster Relief Australia. For recommended wording to include in your Will, click here or contact Rebecca Miller, National Fundraising Manager on 0421 213 001 or email Rebecca.Miller@disasterreliefaus.org.
If I already have a Will can I still include leaving a gift to Disaster Relief Australia?
Yes, if you already have a Will you can still support Disaster Relief Australia by adding a codicil. Your solicitor or legal advisor will assist you to complete a codicil form. Download your codicil form.
Can I ask that my gift be used for a specific area of support?
Absolutely! It is important if you wish to direct your legacy to a specific use that you contact us to discuss your wishes before making or updating your Will. As the needs of our community change, so too do the capabilities and projects of Disaster Relief Australia. By talking to us, we can ensure we are able to fulfil your wishes in future years.
Can I make a gift in my Will in honour of a loved one?
Yes, you can pay tribute or honour a loved one when you leave a gift in your Will to Disaster Relief Australia. Simply contact us to discuss how we can fulfil your wishes and respectfully recognise you and the person you have chosen to honour.
Should I tell Disaster Relief Australia about my decision to leave a gift in my Will to assist disaster affected communities?
We would love to know that you have included Disaster Relief Australia in your Will so that we can discuss any wishes you may have. We would like to thank you and understand your wishes for the bequest you are kindly leaving as a commitment to future generations.
You may wish to advise us of your gift by:
- Phone by contacting Rebecca Miller, National Fundraising Manager on 0421 213 001 or email Rebecca.Miller@disasterreliefaus.org.
- Writing a letter to Disaster Relief Australia advising us of your intention and wishes for the future
- Providing a letter of confirmation from your solicitor or legal advisor, or
- Providing a copy of the codicil or your Will
Written information can be sent to:
Disaster Relief Australia
National Support Office
3 King William Road
UNLEY SA 5061
Upon confirmation of your gift, you will be invited to join a special group of committed and like-minded supporters. You will receive special updates from our CEO, Geoff Evans and be invited to events to find out about our plans for the future.
Of course, if you decide not to tell us, we understand your decision.
All enquiries will be treated with the strictest confidence.
For a confidential discussion to find out more or to notify us of your intention to leave a gift in your Will, please contact Rebecca Miller, National Fundraising Manager on 0421 213 001 or email Rebecca.Miller@disasterreliefaus.org.