Aerial Damage Assessment Teams
Aerial Damage Assessment and Mapping Capabilities
Disaster Relief Australia (DRA) is certified by the Civil Aviation Authority (CASA) to conduct aerial mapping and damage assessment operations using Remotely Piloted Air Systems (RPAS), or drones.
Suitably qualified and accredited DRA members are specifically trained on the use of RPAS to undertake post-disaster wide area mapping. This information is combined with specialist software to generate timely, actionable intelligence that assists a range of stakeholders with response and recovery activities.
Aerial Damage Assessment Team (ADAT)
Small teams of between two – six are able rapidly deploy to undertake aerial mapping and assessment of impacted properties and locations. DRA utilises a remotely piloted aircraft fleet and internally trained specialists to increase the effectiveness and safety of post-disaster operations.
DRA is the lead agency for the provision of localized post-disaster aerial imagery and mapping data, utilising experience gained over the course of 889 post disaster flights over the past three years across Australia and the Asia-Pacific to provide:
- An immediate disaster response capability available at short notice 365 days of the year, providing vital intelligence to complement existing manned aviation capabilities.
- Provision of actionable and timely data and intelligence to aid in decision making by national and state level emergency management agencies and communities.
- Increased capability through the utilisation of new technology to enable world leading aerial data collection for disaster response and recovery operations in Australia. national asset with highly trained veterans providing intelligence to Australian agencies both at home and abroad.
Aerial Damage Assessment and Mapping Capabilities include:
- NearMap higher altitude imagery
- Internal image capacity
- Thermal imagery
- Urban planning
- Landslip typography
- Calculations of debris on the ground
- Debris management
- Amount of moisture on the ground
- DroneDeploy tsunami liquification
- AVCRM RPAS management software
- Image Analysis – ArcGIS intro